After last week’s recipe, this week’s recipe seems like a health food. Granted the ratio of mozzarella to zucchini is about 1:1, so it really isn’t a low calorie, low fat appetizer. But when viewed in perspective of indulgent cheesy bread with its entire stick of butter and four (4!) cups of cheese, this is much healthier!
I actually made this appetizer in the early fall when zucchini was abundant, and I was searching for new ways to work with it. I have made many different versions of zucchini cakes. What makes this dish different is that there is no flour included in it. The use of egg white and fresh mozzarella gives the cake its form.
Zucchini and cheese, two of my favorite ingredients, combine quite nicely and make a delicious appetizer. Eat it plain or create some sort of dipping sauce, if that’s your thing. I think a simple marinara could pair well with it.
It’s been four months. Maybe it’s time to see if there are any zucchini at the store that look decent. . .
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 egg white
- 2 Tb. flax seed
- 4 oz. fresh mozzarella, diced
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- Coarsely grate zucchini. Squeeze to remove as much excess moisture as possible.
- Combine all ingredients in a small mixing bowl.
- Heat nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Grease pan with nonstick cooking spray or olive oil.
- Scoop 1-1/2 tablespoons of zucchini mixture and place in frying pan. Flatten gently.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- Repeat with additional cakes.