If it hasn’t been transparent in my years of writing for Think Tasty, I eat in a healthy manner. I do enjoy unhealthy food, but I try to limit it to weekends and Tapas Mondays. Of course, if you asked my husband, he would tell you that my unhealthy eating really isn’t all that unhealthy. He probably is right, but I like eating the foods that I do and never feel deprived. Most foods that are unhealthy don’t appeal to me. I don’t enjoy most fried foods. I can do without chocolate.
With all that being said, last week I decided to make a 100% indulgent dish for Tapas Monday. I had been hopping around the internet and saw a picture of pull apart bread. I had been introduced to that recipe by a friend over a decade ago. Seeing that picture reminded me of how yummy that bread was. Looking through my files, I found the recipe- butter, lots of cheese, bread. Yes, totally indulgent. More importantly, totally yummy.
So, as it was the Monday between Christmas and New Year, and it was a week of indulgent meals and extra treats, I decided we should have this dish. We definitely enjoyed every bite. However, I do think we are set on such an indulgent appetizer for quite a while. Well, at least I am.
- 1 loaf sourdough bread
- 8 Tb. (1 stick) butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 scallions, diced
- 8 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese
- 8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cut loaf of bread into 1/2″ rows and columns, stopping 1/4″ above bottom of the loaf. (You should have a cross-hatch pattern when done.)
- Place butter in bowl and microwave for 1 minute or until melted.
- Add garlic and scallions to butter. Stir well.
- Place two long pieces of aluminum foil on top of each other, laying them perpendicular to each other, so that an X is created. Spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place bread in center of X. Pour butter mixture over bread, attempting to get it into all of the cut areas.
- Wrap foil around bread, covering it completely, and place in oven to bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove bread from oven and add cheeses, pushing it down into all of the slices. (Be patient. It takes time to get all of that cheese into place!)
- Wrap foil around sides, leaving top open.
- Return to oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Unwrap and enjoy!
[…] 1:1, so it really isn’t a low calorie, low fat appetizer. But when viewed in perspective of indulgent cheesy bread with its entire stick of butter and four (4!) cups of cheese, this is much […]