With the holiday season upon us, many of us let our good eating habits fall by the wayside. There are temptations everywhere you cookies, eggnog, fried latkes.
To balance these tasty munchies, I try to make meals using more healthy recipes. Quite often I do that by having a high protein breakfast, such as an egg wrap or smoothie. A smoothie is one of my favorite breakfasts, all year round, for many reasons. The smoothie can be made quickly and is a very filling breakfast. Also, it is portable, which is useful when trying to get everyone else in the house ready for the day. Plus, if I make a peanut butter smoothie, I know what a healthy food it is from reading peanut butter nutrition data .
As the holiday season continues and food-based events fill up my calendar, I will keep plenty of bananas in stock. I will be prepared for a morning-after breakfast item to help improve my diet.
- 1 ripe banana
- 2 Tablespoons flax seed
- 2 Tablespoons peanut butter,
- creamy or crunchy
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup skim milk6 ice cubes
- Cut banana in half and place in blender.
- Add flax seed, peanut butter, such as Skippy, and 1/2 cup milk.
- Top with ice.
- Place lid on blender and combine on high setting until no chunks of ice remain.
- More milk can be added to make a thinner smoothie.