It may be the first week of January, but I still have recipes from our Christmas Eve feast to share. As I was considering what recipe to share next, I decided that since I started with dessert I should continue to work backward through the meal. Thus, the next dish that was mine to prepare was the primo, Brussels Sprouts & Sausage.
For this recipe, I wanted the brussels sprouts to be the star. Doing so would help to keep the dish lighter. For those who like heartier dishes with more of meat focus, the amount of sausage definitely can be increased. In fact, I know that my husband used the leftovers from this dish with extra sausage as a hash for breakfast one morning.
This dish has a wide appeal to it. It makes a fabulous Christmas dish with the combination of green and red ingredients. For smaller appetites or multi-course meals, it makes a great entrée. For those who like a heartier dinner, it could be served as a side dish. Finally, it is a quick to prepare dish, ready in under thirty minutes.
- 1/3 lb. Italian sausage
- 1/2 lb. brussels sprouts, quartered
- 1/2 Tb. olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- salt & pepper
- parmesan cheese
- Bring a medium-sized pot of water to boiling.
- While waiting, heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat and add sausage.
- Sauté until fully cooked; then remove sausage to a paper-towel lined plate.
- Once water is boiling, add brussels sprouts and boil for 5-10 minutes until barely tender.
- Coat a clean, nonstick pan (unless you enjoy the taste of sausage grease) with olive oil and place over medium heat.
- Sauté onions for 5 minutes, adding red pepper during the last minute.
- Add brussels sprouts and sausage, and sauté for another 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to plates or serving dish and top with desired amount of parmesan cheese.