As a little kid, I remember many a lunch that consisted of a can of Campbell’s soup and a sandwich. One of my favorites was the Vegetable Vegetarian that had ABCs in it. A bowl of that and a grilled cheese made for a pretty happy me. Seeing that I liked an all-veggie soup as an elementary aged kid, it makes sense that I still have an affinity for vegetarian meals.
In winter I enjoy having vegetarian soups for lunch or dinner. The chill of winter goes to my core, and warm food is one of my best antidotes. (Another is a recently purchased pair of heated slippers. Not practical at the office but a delight to wear at home.)
Anyway, back to the soup. Most of the soups I make fall into one of two categories: (1) made in under 15 minutes or (2) left in a crockpot. This recipe is of the crockpot persuasion. However, if one used all frozen vegetables, this dish would fit into the first category.
This is a lighter soup, so although I served it as a main dish, it does need a hearty accompaniment to fully satisfy an appetite. I served it with cheddar cheese biscuits. (Click here to get that recipe.) It also would be well paired with a grilled cheese sandwich.
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 16-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced green beans
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Combine broth and tomatoes in a 5-quart crockpot.
- Add all vegetables and seasoning.
- Stir well, and cover.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
- I used unsalted broth and tomatoes, so I did add a pinch of salt for seasoning.
- If desired, cooked alphabet pasta can be added to the soup when serving.