French pastries, Swiss chocolate, and Chinese fried rice all sound too delicious to be true. There are many food fanatics across the US who are willing to jump on a plane to try the exotic cuisines from around the world. In recent years, this has begun changing due to the increase in availability of these cuisines. New restaurants and takeaways seem to be popping up all over the US, offering us the foods that we previously had to travel to get. For example, if you are looking for the perfect place to eat Japanese cuisine in Chicago, then visit this page as they offer a selection of some of the finest Japanese foods available; they also serve some delicious steaks which are not to be missed.
77% of Americans will choose to eat ethnic foods when dining out at least once a month. More than 1/3 of all Americans will also order ethnic food on a weekly basis. Research suggests that Millennials (people between the ages of 18 and 34) are the most adventurous when it comes to trying new foods. It is believed that Americans are now more willing to try new foods because of their exposure to them when traveling or when watching food-related TV shows. Many people also try new foods for the first time when they are with their friends.
What Cuisines are Becoming More Popular?
In the US, lots of cuisines are becoming more popular including Korean, Moroccan, South-East Asian, Cuban, Vietnamese and Peruvian cuisines. The more people try these foods, the more they talk about them to their friends. They share with them their ideas of foods to try, which then leads to their friends trying and, hopefully, enjoying the cuisine. Word of mouth is an important factor in the popularity of a cuisine.
Which Areas of the US are Adventurous in Trying New Foods?
The interest in ethnic flavors seems to start in the urban areas of the US. It also seems to be stronger on the West and East coasts. From these starting points, the interest then begins spanning out to more rural areas of the US and the rest of the country.
What are the Top Ten Most Popular Cuisines in the US?
There are lots of popular cuisines available in the US, from Chinese to Italian, so we have made a list of some of our favorites:
1. Chinese cuisine
– I bet this doesn’t surprise you. Chinese cuisine is not only popular in the US; it is also one of the most popular cuisines around the world. This is the cuisine that most Americans crave and is currently the most ordered cuisine in the country.
2. Mexican cuisine – Mexican cuisine is another popular cuisine around the world. Mexican dishes are always a favorite due to their tasty and exciting food. This cuisine is liked by 74% of the world!
3. Italian cuisine – Italian cuisine is very popular due to the fresh flavors and productsthey use in their cooking. Pizzas and pasta are definitely a favorite takeaway of the US nationals. More than 70% of US nationals enjoy Italian cuisine.
4. Japanese cuisine – Japanese cuisine is slowly becoming more popular in the US. Although this doesn’t quite reach the top three cuisines, it is still a favorite. One of the most popular Japanese dishes served in the US is sushi. It is because of sushi that this cuisine features so high in the list.
5. Greek cuisine – Approximately 32% of Americans enjoy eating Greek cuisine on a regular basis. Many of Americans enjoy Greek cuisine because the Greeks serve food that is similar to their own cuisine in the US. Lots of the ingredients in Greek cuisine are popular with American chefs and cooks too.
6. French cuisine – French cuisine is a very popular choice around the world and if we were talking about the top cuisines around the world, you would probably find that this would fall within the top 3 favorites. However, it is not quite as popular in the US. Approximately 25% of the American population enjoy eating French cuisine on a regular basis.
7. Thai cuisine – You may think that Thai cuisine should be higher up the list due to it being very similar to our favorite cuisine, Chinese. According to our information, unlike Chinese cuisine, only 24% of the American population enjoy eating Thai cuisine.
8. Spanish cuisine – Spanish cuisine is another that is very popular around the world, however, in America, only 22% of the population enjoy eating Spanish food on a regular basis. Maybe this is because there aren’t as many Spanish restaurants in the US, or maybe it’s down to the ingredients they use. One of the most popular Spanishdishes served in the US is paella.
9. Indian cuisine – You may be as shocked as me to learn that Indian cuisine comes in at number nine on our top 10 list. Thousands of Americans across the country order Indian takeaways each week, but this is still not enough for it to reach any higher on the list. Only 19% of Americans enjoy eating this food on a regular basis.
10. Mediterranean cuisine – When you think of Mediterranean cuisine, you think of all of the fresh ingredients they use in their cooking. So, why is it only number 10 on our top ten list? According to our data, only 16% of Americans enjoy eating Mediterranean food on a regular basis.
The most popular food in the US may still be hotdogs, hamburgers, and steaks, but the American people are slowly becoming more adventurous when it comes to different cuisines. Research has shown us that people are more willing to try new foods when they are with other people or are within a certain age range. In the US, there are lots of different cuisines available to try from around the world. Each year, new restaurants open which provide people with a chance to try something new. Which cuisine would be your favorite?
Brought to you by our friend, Carol.