decoding=”async” fetchpriority=”high” class=”alignright size-full wp-image-2294″ style=”margin: 5px; float: right;” title=”Sweeter Muffin” src=”https://thinktasty1.wpengine.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Sweeter-Muffin.jpg” alt=”” width=”300″ height=”269″>Our oldest turned fifteen at the end of April. He wasn’t certain if he really wanted a birthday party, but he did think the idea of having a “handful” of friends over would be great. So, once we agreed upon what a “handful” was (five) and spring track season ended, we planned to have his friends over during Memorial Day weekend.
Feeding a handful of fifteen year old boys, nevermind a thirteen year old sister and her friend, is no small feat. We went the simple route for dinner: many large pizzas and soda. In the morning, I debated picking up donuts, but I decided to take the easier route, or at least what is the easier route for me: baking muffins.
My mom was a fan of the Betty Crocker cookbook and used it for some of the baked goods she made. Included in that list are the Sweet Muffins to which you can add a variety of ingredients. While this recipe was a good start, I decided to change it a little and make it my own. For a little depth of flavor I added vanilla, and for a little sweetness I added an extra tablespoon of sugar. And of course, to feed a gaggle of teens, I needed to double the recipe.
While I made these with chocolate chips to please our chocolate-loving group, they could be made with blueberries or any variety of ingredients.
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 canola oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup + 1 Tb. sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips, blueberries, etc.
- Preheat oven to 400. Line muffin pan with baking cups or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine egg, milk, oil, and vanilla and whisk.
- Add flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt, and stir to combine.
- Add chocolate chips or blueberries and stir until incorporated.
- Fill muffin cups two-thirds full.
- Bake 15 minutes for mini muffins, 20 minutes for regular muffins, and 25 minutes for jumbo muffins.
- Makes 24 mini muffins, 12 regular muffins, and 6 jumbo muffins.