ref=”https://thinktasty1.wpengine.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/rsz_img_6912.jpg”>OK, OK. I know I just did a brownie recipe two weeks ago, but in my defense this recipe is waaaayyyy yummier. Last night I had an insane craving for peanut butter and chocolate. My friend, Rachael, who was sleeping over really wanted brownies. Together we decided to attempt a peanut butter swirl brownie. Just the thought of that ingeniously delicious creation makes my mouth water and makes it difficult not to utter yummy sounds.
We decided to take a simple brownie recipe and add peanut butter on top and then swirl it. But I realized that just swirling peanut butter in would not be as easy as it sounded. After a bit of experimenting we decided that taking a one to three ratio of powdered sugar to peanut butter and melting it together would be the easiest way to swirl it in. After a bit more experimenting we found out that when you add peanut butter, it takes longer to cook.
Be warned! These brownies are very decadent. I cut them small, into about sixteen pieces. They pair deliciously with vanilla ice cream, but they pair better with cookie dough ice cream. Although I have to say I think they would pair best with some sort of peanut butter ice cream.
However rich they are, nothing is too rich or decadent for whipped cream! Top them with a scoop of ice cream of your choice, a healthy serving of whipped cream, sprinkles, a drizzle of caramel, and a cherry.
These are simple to make, delicious, and loved by anyone who likes chocolate. And isn’t allergic to peanuts. There should probably be a nut warning on here, shouldn’t there…
Warning: contains peanuts, and yummieness!
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour an 8×8 inch pan.
- In a large bowl sift together the cocoa powder, flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Melt the butter in a microwave-proof bowl and stir in eggs, white sugar, and vanilla.
- Beat the butter, egg, sugar, and vanilla mixture into the dry ingredients. (Stand mixers, hand mixers, and hand whisking all work.)
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Put the peanut butter and powdered sugar into a microwave-proof bowl and heat for thirty seconds.
- Mix by hand until smooth; pour over batter.
- Take a spoon and swirl the two together by dragging the spoon through the two mixtures until the two are swirled thoroughly, but NOT mixed together.
- Bake in oven for about thirty minutes for fudgier brownies, closer to thirty five minutes for less fudgy brownies.