With my husband being a native of the Baltimore area, he is a fan of the Ravens. However, living in New England, most of their games aren’t broadcast. So, when Baltimore was scheduled for the Monday night game a few weeks ago, I decided to make our tapas night work around this special occasion.
Although I honestly didn’t care whether Baltimore or Cleveland won (*gasp*), I decided to make a menu that was pro-Ravens. As my cooking experience with crabs is limited, I thought that serving purple foods would be my best choice for a Baltimore-themed menu. Eggplant salsa was a perfect fit. Although the eggplant loses its purple hue when diced and cooked, my intent was noted.
This salsa had a wonderful consistency. It was chunky and not too wet, making it a great dip to eat while watching tv. We enjoyed this salsa on some homemade Flacco-seed chips (flaxseed lavash bread baked and cut into chips) and tortilla chips.
- 2 small eggplants, sliced lengthwise
- 2 red peppers, seeded and quartered
- 1 red onion, peeled and quartered
- olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 tsp. oregano
- salt & pepper
- Preheat grill or grill pan to a medium heat.
- Brush olive oil on eggplant slices and pepper and onion quarters.
- Place on grill, cooking until golden brown, about 4 minutes per side. Allow veggies to cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Dice eggplant, peppers, and onion into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Place in a 9-inch pie plate. Add garlic, feta, and oregano. Mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until salsa is warmed.
- Serve with tortilla or lavash chips.