We had an enjoyable set of holidays at our home with our children and a set of grandparents. Christmas was a nonstop rotation of presents and food, which is the perfect way to spend the holiday: Open presents with immediate family, have breakfast. Open presents with grandparents/in-laws, have a snack. Open presents with aunts and uncles, have dinner. Yes, everyone liked the flow of that day.
The days that followed were busy and snow-filled. Thankfully we were able to fit in a family shopping trip, pre-snowstorm. Then we returned home for leisurely days of game playing, tv watching, and enjoying new gifts. Of course, with extra people at home, we didn’t schedule our regular Tapas Monday.
When Wednesday morning arrived and all of our family departed, I decided that a Tapas Night was in order. Even though it was Wednesday, it seemed fitting to enjoy a night for the two of us to dine by candlelight. With kids busy with the excitement of school vacation and social plans, it was the perfect evening for us to dine alone.
Our dinner was a combination of finger foods: dates stuffed with fontina, artichoke dip and toasted pita wedges, and lamb meatballs served with a curried yogurt dip. Enjoyed with a glass of sparkling wine, it was delightful to enjoy a quiet meal for just the two of us.
- 1-2 Tb. almonds
- 1-1/2 cups plain Greek yogurt
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tb. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- 1/2 tsp. cardamom
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- Place almonds in a food processor, blender, or bean grinder, and process until finely ground.
- Pour yogurt into a medium-sized bowl. Add garlic, lemon juice, curry powder, cardamom, chili powder, and 1 tablespoon of ground almonds, and mix well.
- Can be used immediately, but allowing it to chill for a few hours will intensify the flavor.
- Serve with lamb meatballs.