You know, sometimes the simplest of things is what impresses people the most. A perfect example of that is whipped cream. Making it requires three ingredients and one minute. That’s it. Yet, every time I make whipped cream instead of spraying it out of a can, I receive comments, such as, “Ooh! Homemade whipped cream!” and “Wow! This is amazing!”
While I could encourage this thinking that making homemade whipped cream is something of a phenomenon, I don’t. My usual reply is that whipped cream is a simple item to create, and one that is well worth the minute it takes. Although there are times that a can of whipped cream is handy, say at an ice cream party for 20 kids, making it yourself works in most situations.
There are a few hints that will assist you in making excellent whipped cream:
- If you have the time, refrigerate the bowl in which you’ll make the whipped cream. A cold bowl equals better results.
- When you refrigerate the bowl, also refrigerate the whisk or beaters.
- Keep the whipping cream in the refrigerator until the moment you need it. Again, cold is a good thing.
- If you have a stand mixer or hand mixer, it will make the whipping even quicker.
What are you waiting for? Find something delicious to bake, then make some whipped cream to top it, and impress your friends and family tonight!
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 Tb. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Pour cream into a chilled mixing bowl, and whisk at low speed. Slowly increase speed to high.
- As cream begins to thicken, add sugar and vanilla.
- Continue to whisk until cream has a thicker consistency. (One way of checking is by slowly removing the whisk from the cream. If the cream forms a peak, it is ready.)
- Makes 2 cups whipped cream.