ref=”https://thinktasty1.wpengine.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/rsz_turkey_dinner.jpg”>I thoroughly enjoy Thanksgiving. It is a holiday dedicated to just giving back. A time when the whole family can get together and celebrate without expecting to receive anything but food and love. It is the one holiday that brings everyone together. It doesn’t matter if you rarely see each other, the whole family still gets together and eats a home cooked meal without caring about who can give the best presents. The other great thing is how much food there is leftover. Nobody ever knows what to do with it, but my favorite thing is to make sandwiches. And there are so many never-ending combinations to them. You can skip the mashed potatoes and stuffing, so there aren’t as many carbs. Or you can make it a protein heavy sandwich and skip almost all the carbs by using a wrap. You can even put in lettuce or tomato.
However, if you want an indulgent sandwich that truly tastes like Thanksgiving, then this sandwich is for you.
- 2 slices of whole wheat bread
- sliced leftover turkey
- cranberry sauce
- mashed potatoes
- cheese slices, optional
- butter, optional
- Place both pieces of bread on a clean workspace. Spread some cranberry sauce on one piece and gravy on the other.
- On the slice with gravy add a scoop of mashed potatoes and gently spread with a knife. Crumble a little bit of stuffing on top of the mashed potatoes and then, using the same knife, gently push the stuffing into the mashed potatoes so it doesn’t fall out of the sandwich.
- Place a couple slices of turkey on top of the stuffing and put the cranberry sauce-topped slice of bread on top.
- If you want to take the sandwich to the next level, you can add in a couple slices of your choice of cheese.
- Heat a small frying pan over medium heat, coat the outer bread slices with butter, and fry it like a grilled cheese.
- You don’t need to have cheese in it to fry it, I prefer mine fried but without cheese.