Summer can be such a short season in New England. This year it seems like it may be very short after the cool, rainy start summer had. However, days of temps in the 80s and extra humidity have arrived, making summer’s presence well known.
While some may complain that it’s too hot and sticky, I enjoy this weather. It’s the sort of weather that makes you appreciate an ice cold drink and a light dinner. Much like I look forward to a snowstorm in winter for baking homemade bread and slowly simmering a pot of soup, so do I anticipate the heat and its corresponding meals.
The meals that I like to make for hot and humid days are the opposite of my winter meals. I prefer to make dishes that are lighter or are served cold. The meal becomes the antithesis of the weather.
On a recent steamy day, I decided to try a different version of chicken salad for our dinner. Instead of using mayonnaise as the main ingredient in the dressing, I used sweet chili sauce, which gave the wrap a sweet taste with a hint of spice. As the chicken was marinating, I received a package from FoodBuzz that contained different food items from Emeril’s product line. As there’s no time like the present, I decided to incorporate some of his Chicken Rub into the salad, which gave some extra flavor to our wraps.
- 2 chicken breasts, diced
- 1/2 cup sweet chili sauce, divided
- 1 Tb. white vinegar
- 1 tsp. Emeril’s Chicken Rub
- 4 cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 3 pieces flatbread or wraps
- shredded lettuce
- 4 scallions, diced
- 1/4 cup water chestnuts, diced
- Place chicken in a gallon-sized resealable bag. Add 3 tablespoons chili sauce and white vinegar.
- Seal bag, and shake to mix ingredients. Refrigerate chicken for at least 2 hours.
- Heat large nonstick frying pan over medium heat.
- Remove chicken pieces from bag, and place in frying pan. Sprinkle with chicken rub, and cook thoroughly.
- Add mushrooms, and cook for another minute or two.
- Place chicken and mushrooms in a small bowl.
- Add remaining chili sauce, mix well, cover, and refrigerate for several hours.
- Place desired amount of shredded lettuce in center of wrap. Spoon chicken/mushroom mixture onto lettuce.
- Top with scallions and water chestnuts, if desired. Fold wrap as if preparing a burrito, and enjoy.