Last week I shared my recipe for a sweeter version of butternut squash soup. If that’s your kind of thing, feel free to click, read, and return. This article will still be here when you come back. For those of you who prefer a more traditional soup, one that is savory, this is the recipe for you! This soup recipe still is quite simple and another great way to use some of the butternut squash you have on hand.
This soup is made with a chicken broth base, but it could be made with vegetable broth also. I would stay away from beef broth, as I think its stronger flavor would overpower the squash. I season this soup with garlic powder, but you could experiment with different herbs. What does your palate like? Basil, oregano, and rosemary are among spices that come to mind and probably would work well. (If you try a different spice, please let me know in the comment section.)
Served a a lunch entrée or a dinner course, this soup is delicious, hearty, and healthy. It definitely is an easy way to get some more veggies into your diet.
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 3/4 cup cooked butternut squash
- 1/3 cup frozen spinach
- 1/2 Tb. garlic powder
- salt & pepper
- Dissolve bouillon cube in water.
- Pour broth and squash into blender. Purée until smooth.
- Transfer mixture to a small saucepot.
- Add spinach and garlic powder. Stir well.
- Cook over medium heat until heated thoroughly.
- Season with salt and pepper, if desired.