On Sundays our family likes to eat munchies and watch football. Being east coast-based people, the team of interest to most of the family is the Patriots. However, the interest of the kids lasts about as long as it takes them to eat their fill of snacks. But they do like eating a meal of snacks, getting to choose one, and helping with the preparation of the meal.
Depending on the number of kids at home that day, we have anywhere from three to six snacks. To introduce the kids to different munchies (and to minimize repetition), the kids can’t choose the same dish two weeks in a row.
With our ten year old already having chosen her stock favorites of potato skins and espinaca dip in previous weeks, she was seeking other ideas. Perusing one of my recipe collections, she chose Pepperoni Asiago Twirls. This snack was extremely easy to make and thoroughly enjoyed by all. It can be served with any sort of mustard as a dipping sauce. (In our house, we always have no less than five varieties of mustard, so many mustards were tried, and most seemed to work.)
For a final bit of flair for this snack, we renamed Pepperoni Asiago Twirls as PAT, a sort of tribute to our area team.
- 3/4 cup Asiago cheese, grated
- 1-1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 24 slices pepperoni
- 1 egg, beaten
- Combine cheese, Italian seasoning, and pepper in a medium bowl, and set aside.
- Cut puff pastry in half, so that you have two long pieces.
- Place pepperoni slices in a single layer on each of the sheets, leaving a half-inch border along one long edge.
- Top the pepperoni with the cheese mixture.
- Brush beaten egg along plain edge.
- Starting at other side of the pastry, roll the pastry, and seal at edge coated with egg.
- Wrap in plastic wrap, and chill in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Line cookie sheet with foil, and coat with nonstick cooking spray.
- Unwrap and cut each roll into 20-25 pinwheels.
- Place pinwheels on cookie sheet, and bake for 15 minutes or until golden.
- Serve immediately.