We hosted Easter brunch at our house last weekend. With a group of twelve, there was plenty of food to share. Mini quiches, lemon poppy seed bread, roasted asparagus, fruit salad, maple glazed sweet potatoes, and ham were served for our early afternoon meal. Having filled our stomachs sufficiently and having been graced with blue skies and very warm weather, we headed outside for an hour or two of basketball, baseball, and an egghunt.
Of course, all of that fresh air and exercise reinvigorated our appetites. Thankfully we had two desserts to quench any hunger pangs: almond pound cake with strawberry-rhubarb glaze and Oreo ice cream pie. My sister-in-law baked and brought the pound cake, which was quite delicious. I took the simple route of a no-bake dessert that I was certain would please the kids.
Whether you like to make dessert or not, this is a ridiculously simple treat to make. If you want to keep the recipe simple, you need only three ingredients. However, if you want to add individual toppings or decorate the top of the pie, you easily can do that also. Regardless to whether you choose simple or fancier, it is a dessert that requires no special kitchen talents but seems like a big treat to those eating it.
- 1/2 pkg. Oreo cookies (18 oz. size)
- 3 Tb. unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream*
- hot fudge**
- whipped cream**
- Place Oreo cookies in a gallon sized resealable bag. Set bag on a hard surface, and roll over it with a rolling pin to crush the cookies.
- Pour melted butter into bag, and squeeze bag to combine crumbs and butter. Pour crumb mixture into a 9-inch pie pan, and press against bottom and sides to form a crust.
- Place in the freezer for 1 hour.
- Take ice cream out of freezer and allow to sit at room temperature for 15 minutes, so that it softens slightly.
- Take crust out of freezer, and fill with ice cream. (You may not need the entire half gallon to fill the crust.)
- Smooth the top of the pie with a butter knife for a more finished appearance. Return pie to freezer for at least one hour.
- Slice, serve, and enjoy.
- *Other flavors of ice cream can be used.
- **Pie can be decorated with small candies. Also, when served, each slice can be topped with items, such as hot fudge and whipped cream. Let your imagination guide you.