Lazy Sundays are wonderful. With four children, these don’t happen all that often. However, this past Sunday was a free day without a schedule.
We started our day by savoring several cups of coffee, watching food shows, and making a little breakfast. This relaxing start was followed by shopping for new kitchen decor. I am very lucky in that my husband enjoys shopping with me. We went to a couple stores, found a few chicken pieces for our kitchen, and then headed to the grocery store.
As we were braising and roasting lamb shanks for dinner, we decided to make an afternoon snack to hold us over. Seeing wonderful looking mushrooms in the produce department, we thought we would try our hands at some sort of mushroom dip. I was envisioning a dip in which the mushrooms had been sauteed to enhance their flavor, blended to give it a smooth consistency, and then baked with cheese for a gooey topping. My husband liked my idea (smart man), so our appetizer was decided.
While blending our veggies we needed to add some liquids to help with the process. As noted in the recipe, we used a pinch of olive oil and some Pinot Grigio. However, you can use different amounts of oil and wine or use a different liquid, such as chicken broth, depending on your taste preferences.
- 2 Tb. olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 1/3 lb. cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 lb. shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup Pinot Grigio
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 375. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat.
- Add onion, and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, and saute for an additional minute.
- Add both mushrooms, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Place mushroom mixture in blender, and add 1 tablespoon olive oil, Parmesan, and Pinot Grigio. Blend until smooth, adding more liquid if needed.
- Do not overfill your blender, as the ingredients are hot!
- Divide blended mixture evenly among 4 ramekins, top with mozzarella, and bake for 5 – 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Serve with crackers, pita chips, or bagel chips.
- *For additional kick, add roasted poblano or jalapeno peppers when blending.