Stuffed French toast is growing more and more popular, especially on restaurant menus, but you don’t have to eat out to enjoy it. This recipe makes a sweet and nutty version with enough servings for eight brunch guests. Walnuts coated in maple syrup team up with cream cheese to make a filling that’s both creamy and crunchy, served between slices of Texas toast fried in a rich egg and cream batter. This comes to us from Cabernet Inn B&B of North Conway, New Hampshire, among the pines near beautiful Mt. Washington, a great place for a weekend getaway any time of year.
- 16 slices Texas toast style bread
- 8 eggs
- ¼ cup milk, or heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- ½ cup butter, plus 2 tablespoons melted to use on the griddle
- 14 ounces chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup pure grade A maple syrup, plus ½ cup for serving
- 8 ounces cream cheese, slightly softened
- Heat Griddle. Using a skillet, melt ½ cup of butter over medium low heat. When butter starts to get frothy add walnuts and sauté for three to five minutes.
- Add maple syrup and simmer for another five minutes, stirring to coat all walnuts.
- Remove from heat and set aside. Whisk together eggs, milk and vanilla.
- Dip bread into egg mixture to thoroughly coat both sides.
- Brush griddle with butter. Place bread on the griddle and sprinkle top side with cinnamon.
- Grill both sides until golden, approximately three minutes each side.
- Remove from griddle in pairs with cinnamon side facing up. Spread a thin layer of cream cheese on each slice of grilled bread. Place three heaping tablespoons maple walnut mixture onto one of the cream cheese coated slices, then assemble putting other slice with cream cheese on top. Cut in half to reveal the yummy inside and enjoy. Serve with maple syrup and a dusting of powdered sugar.