As we focus on after-school sweet treats, this week we are trying to choose snacks that are easy to make, such as the ideas we shared on Monday. One of the items on that list was cinnamon sugar toast. (Click here to review the full list.) Although this is a comforting food enjoyed by many, it isn’t always a practical after-school snack. If your child goes to a babysitter or goes straight from school to practice, there won’t be a toaster handy. And who wants cold toast? If you will be home after school, this Cinnamon Sugar Butter has the toast ready more quickly and easily.
These crackers form a fine compromise. They deliver on the flavors of butter, cinnamon, and sugar, and do so even when they have been hanging out in a sandwich bag for hours or days.
I made these crackers using lavash bread as the base; however, there are numerous options for the crackers. For those with picky eaters that like nothing that hints of wheat, flour tortillas are a fine option. Other options include pita bread, be it plain or whole grain and flax seed, whole wheat tortillas, or any wrap that your family likes. Obviously, I’d save the spinach, sundried tomato, or other savory wraps for a different dish.
I’d suggest making these crackers using a whole piece or sheet of your desired wrap/tortilla and cutting after baking. This will allow you to bake them directly on your oven rack without worrying that smaller crackers will fall between the bars. Plus, it also simplifies the prep work in that you only have to brush butter on one large piece instead of 20 smaller pieces.
Make a batch, or two or three, store in a resealable container, and you have a week of portable snacks ready!
- 1 piece lavash bread
- 1 Tb. butter, melted
- 3 Tb. sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Brush lavash bread with butter. (You don’t need to use all of it, just enough to make the cinnamon & sugar stick.)
- Combine sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle generously over buttered lavash. (There probably will be leftover cinnamon sugar. Save for another use.)
- Place lavash on middle rack of oven, and bake for 5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool for a minute or two, then cut into crackers.
- Store in a sealed container up to a week.