Believe it or not, it’s Friday again! And this Friday I’m even happier than usual that it’s Friday. You may ask why. The reason for this happiness is that I am in Chicago for the weekend with great company. My husband, daughter, and I flew here from New Hampshire yesterday, and my son flew in from Colorado last night. Now we will have the next couple days to eat, explore, and spend time together. Pure happiness!
Things I cooked
- The week’s wrap-up wouldn’t be complete without mentioning the Kentucky Derby party my husband and I threw for Wasabi Ventures Stables. Since we were hosting a crowd of over twenty while we also had family in town, most of the food was catered. However, I did make my coconut macaroons, skipping the chocolate bottom to eliminate the messiness. I am humbled to say it was the most talked about dish at the party.
- As part of our Tapas Monday menu, I made a recipe from deep in the Think Tasty archives, Spiced Cauliflower. I love this veggie dish, as it provides a bit of spice and a bit of sweetness, truly brightening the cauliflower. It also works well with broccoli. More veggies for all!
Places I ate
- As I mentioned before, our party had most of the food catered. So, even thought I didn’t go out, I did eat food not cooked by me. I have to give a big shoutout to The Bridge Cafe. They created a delightful menu of finger foods: crudites, meatballs, cheese tray, and more. Our guests loved every bite! If we need catering in the future, I will be sure to use them again.
- Getting ready to go away for a long weekend and full schedules meant that Wednesday night’s dinner was not at home but rather at the Thirsty Moose Taphouse. Not quite a mile from our place, it’s an easy walk and has a comfy, you belong here, feel to it. I have a couple go-to dishes that I usually order when I eat there. This time I chose the chicken quesadilla, which is filled with plenty of chicken and cheese.
- We’ve barely begun our eating in Chicago, but we did have some great late afternoon snacks yesterday. We arrived at The Purple Pig just before 5:00, beating the work rush, and were able to secure seats. We enjoyed this chorizo stuffed olives, smashed potatoes with sheep feta and oregano, and a lovely cheese tray.
Things I did
- I don’t often like to talk about truly personal items, but last weekend a banner was raised for my little brother at the Merrimack Valley Softball & Baseball opening day ceremonies. Dan passed away last June after battling stage IV colon cancer. It was comforting to hear others speak so fondly of my brother.
- On a much happier note, we hosted our first annual derby party, which I mentioned above. The party was such a fabulous time, I thought it was worth mentioning twice. Almost every attendee wore a big hat or bow tie and really got into the festivities. We spent several hours enjoying food, bourbon or prosecco, great conversation, and, of course, horse racing. Truly a wonderful event, if I do say so myself.
Today we head out to explore a good portion of the city on foot, nibbling here and there as we go. I’m sure next week’s update will be filled with many delicious food discoveries!
Here’s to a wonderful weekend and a happy Mother’s Day!