The longer I’m here, the more I really am loving this downtown living.
Last weekend was filled with horses, as many have been of late. While the racing was mediocre, our horse didn’t perform as well as expected, our visit to the stable was wonderful as always. Each and every horse I visited got lots of scratches and peppermints. Happiness for all! Back to home on Monday, it’s been a full week of recipe testing (with one vexing me) and prepping for Demo Day for my other role. To celebrate Friday eve, I went to the rooftop deck at dusk and enjoyed the views of my new hometown. It really is lovely.
Things I Cooked
- On Monday it was another girls’ night for my daughter and me. However, seeing we’ve had them in back to back weeks, you can’t do fondue that often, at least in my book. We had chicken caesar salad topped with homemade croutons that were absolutely amazing. Look for the recipe next week!
- The recipe that vexes me is a new variation on my basic scone recipe. I’m at two tries, and both are fine but not great. Try number three will be in the next few days. I’m hoping for success this time.
- The one downside to our new place is that we don’t have a grill. Although I don’t use a grill often in my cooking, they’re nice to have once in a while. Last night I broiled burgers and was pleasantly surprised. They were tasty and juicy. Not a summery feel to the cooking but definitely in the flavors.
Places I Ate
- Last Saturday we walked to Morton’s from our hotel in Baltimore. We’ve eaten in the restaurant a number of times but decided to eat at the bar and have snacks and desserts instead of a full steak dinner. I have to say that the appetizers were kind of disappointing, but the desserts were excellent. Their carrot cake is a hearty serving, moist, and flavorful. Yum!
- With an evening work call on Tuesday, I ended the day at Thirsty Moose Taphouse. Veering from my normal weekday eating, I splurged on The Reuben. What I loved about it was that it was filled with house braised corned beef and served on toasted bread. Toasting made it a sturdier, less greasy sandwich to enjoy.
Things I Did
- I was surprised by the reactions of passengers on my flight home on Sunday. It was delayed twice, before and after boarding. However, the Southwest flight crew kept us appraised and did the best they could, yet other passengers began grumbling that they wanted refunds. Sadly, delays happen in travel, be it by car, plane, train, etc. So, plan accordingly, and stay calm. I happily read many pages in a book I’d brought with me.
- I started watching the most recent season of the Great British Baking Show on a night home alone, only to discover that only the first two episodes are free. Since I don’t have cable and watch using apps only, I’ll need to buy the season to watch the rest of it. I wouldn’t balk at paying for a movie ticket, so I’m not sure why I haven’t bought the season yet. (Something to consider here.)
- I tried a HIIT treadmill workout this morning. It involved walking, so I thought it would be simple. While it wasn’t difficult, I definitely felt it working my quads and hamstrings. Yay to a solid, new workout!
Happy Friday! Wishing one and all a fun and relaxing weekend!