We all have long-time friends. People we’ve known for a decade or two with whom you can share almost anything. I am fortunate enough not only to have friends like that but also to work with one of them. We get the benefit of seeing each other during our workdays and keeping each other amused during meetings.
The other morning my friend was telling me about her ideas for dinner. She told me that she had leftover chicken from Sunday dinner and wanted to do something different with it. She also had some whole grain tortillas that she wanted to use with it. As she recited her list of ingredients, I began to envision the meal. My only suggestion was to add some corn to the dish.
The next morning my friend came to work and told me that the dish was well-received by her husband. At lunch, she had a container of leftovers. Once heated, the spicy scent of her Mexican Mix emanated throughout the room. It smelled like an excellent dinner to me. I asked that she email the recipe to me, so that I could make it and add it to my blog.
When I made the meal at home, my version was slightly different than hers. My friend served it with shredded chicken, canned tomatoes, and tortilla shells. I served mine with ground turkey, fresh tomatoes, and tortilla wraps. Regardless to the way it was served, it was another great idea shared among friends.
- 1 pound cooked shredded chicken, ground turkey, or ground beef
- 1 (16 0z.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (16 oz.) can diced tomatoes with chile peppers*
- chopped veggies, such as peppers and onions
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1/2 – 1 cup water
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- 1 package tortillas
- shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat frying pan over medium high heat and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Put meat, black beans, tomatoes, veggies, and corn in pan.
- Saute for 5 – 10 minutes or until warm.
- Add seasoning, water, and spices. Bring to a boil and simmer, uncovered, for another 10 – 15 minutes.
- Put tortilla on a microwaveable plate and put a scoop of mix in center of tortilla.
- Top with cheddar cheese.
- Heat in microwave for 30 seconds or until cheese melts. Top with salsa, if desired.
- *Fresh tomato can be used in place of the canned tomatoes.