With the arrival of beautiful weather comes the start of grilling season. We enjoy grilling all sorts of things, including burgers. And while you can’t go wrong with a perfectly cooked burger topped with your favorite condiments, it is fun to think outside the box sometimes.
So, last week I decided that we would have burgers, just not the sort made with beef; that seemed too mundane. I wanted a sandwich that looked like a burger but had its own unique taste. Ground chicken seemed like the perfect vehicle for this quest. Unlike ground veal or pork, which some might confuse with beef, it was certain to be recognized as chicken both by look and taste.
Just like a grilled chicken breast is boring without the correct seasoning or marinade, so is ground chicken. Of course, the addition of spices and herbs not only would make this chicken more flavorful, it would make our burger meal more interesting. No plain old burgers were going to be served in our house last week! Add a few fillings to the bun, and you have a great new burger creation.
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 1 Tb. Emeril’s Chicken Rub
- 1 Tb. Montreal steak seasoning
- 1 shallot, minced
- 3-4 thin slices baked ham
- 3-4 slices Swiss cheese
- mayonnaise, dijon mustard
- lettuce, tomato slices
- Preheat grill.
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl, and mix well. (Using your hands works best.)
- Divide mixture into 3 or 4 patties, depending on how big you like your burger.
- Place patties on grill, and cook for 5 minutes. Flip and grill for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from grill. (Make sure burgers are cooked completely.
- Chicken burgers need to be served well done.)
- To assemble burger, top bun with mayonnaise, mustard, or other desire condiment, lettuce, tomato, and ham.
- Top with patty, slice of cheese, and top bun.