This weekend we had a request for homemade chicken noodle soup. While it holds little appeal for myself or my husband, it is a favorite for three of our four children. As we hadn’t made this simple soup in quite a while, I didn’t feel the need to have the kids choose a more creative soup.
However, that didn’t mean that my husband and I needed to eat this same soup. I planned on making homemade broth on Sunday morning, which could be divided between two pots to make two different chicken-based soups.
In the past, we have used chicken broth as a base for vegetable soup and for Asian Chicken Noodle Soup. This week I wanted to try something new and with different flavors. The idea of using sun-dried tomatoes, instead of canned or fresh sounded like a nice twist on our typical soups. Plus, as only adults would be eating this soup, I thought we could add some more interesting vegetables, such as mushrooms and artichokes.
Which brings us to this soup and its unique name. There are so many different flavors, it seemed they all deserved to be in the recipe’s title. To avoid a long title, it has been simplified to an abbreviation. CATMO Soup is merely: Chicken, Artichoke, (sun-dried) Tomato, Mushroom, & Onion Soup.
- 1 cup water
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 1-1/2 oz. sun-dried tomatoes (not in oil or liquid)
- 7 cups chicken broth
- 3 Tb. tomato paste
- 1 Tb. olive oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 14 oz. can artichoke hearts, not marinated
- 1 cup white wine, divided
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 2 cups cooked chicken, diced
- Place water in a small pot over high heat until boiling. Add mushrooms, remove from heat, and cover. Let stand for 30 minutes. Remove cover. When cool, squeeze mushrooms to remove liquid, saving liquid in pot. Chop and set mushrooms aside for later.
- Dice sun-dried tomatoes. In a large pot, combine broth, tomatoes, tomato paste, and reserved mushroom liquid. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, and allow to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and saute for 5 minutes. Add garlic, artichoke hearts, mushrooms, and heat for 1 minute. Add 1/2 cup white wine, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil, then turn heat to low, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add mushroom and artichoke mixture to soup pot. Add chicken and remaining 1/2 cup wine, and allow to heat through, about 10 minutes.