Last weekend I had some free time and two hungry teens at home. With schedules, like most families, that involve busy days and nights, it’s not often that we make time for an indulgent evening of dinner and dessert. However, last Sunday was quieter than usual, which prompted me to spend some extra time in the kitchen. I let the teens choose dinner (an Asian-themed menu, consisting of seafood, rice, and bok choy), while I worked on dessert.
My initial thought was to make something with pumpkin. However, as I had suspected, my enjoyment of pumpkin far outweighs the kids’. So, I went for my second choice option: apples. With freshly picked, local apples still in abundance, it is a terrific time to cook with these fruits. I’ve made many an apple dessert: pies, tarts, crisps, even raviolis. I wanted to try something new, so I decided to try an apple cake.
This cake was excellent. Topped with a little powdered sugar or whipped cream and served with a cup of coffee, it would make a delicious dessert, afternoon snack, or even indulgent breakfast treat. Served with caramel sauce, it is an absolutely amazing dessert. Return next Monday to learn how to make the caramel sauce that puts this recipe over the edge!
Get the irresistible caramel sauce recipe.
- 3 cups flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 Mutsu apples, peeled, cored, & diced
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350. Coat a bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
- In a small bowl, whisk together yogurt, oil, eggs, and vanilla extract.
- Add liquids to dry ingredients, and stir until combined.
- Add apples and pecans to batter and combine.
- Transfer cake batter to prepared bundt pan.
- Bake for 60-75 minutes.
- Check for doneness using a toothpick.
- Allow cake to cool for 10 minutes, then remove from pan.
- Allow to cool for at least 15 more minutes before serving.
- Irresistible Caramel Sauce is the perfect topping for this cake.