As I mentioned in my previous recipe (uniquely titled Pear & Cheese – Version 1), this past Sunday we had a big dinner planned for that evening but were hungry hours before mealtime. In order to curb our appetite, I created two different pear and cheese appetizers.
I found that there were many things to love about these two recipes. First, they were simple to make. Although I enjoy cooking, I knew that I would be cooking a decent amount for dinner. So, I didn’t want to spend my entire afternoon attached to the stove. Second, they were amazingly delicious. Between the combination of textures (crunchy and chewy) and the combination of tastes (sweet, savory, and salty), there was so much to enjoy. Third, they weren’t laden with calories, just enough sustenance to ease the wait until dinner.
I am certain that there are an endless assortment of combinations that could be tried. Switch the cracker, fruit, cheese, or all three to create your own snack. I am certain we will be trying different creations in our future.
- 1 whole wheat & flax tortilla
- 1 bosc pear
- 1 tsp. butter
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- fresh mozzarella, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Brush tortilla with a minute amount of water.
- Sprinkle a pinch of salt on tortilla.
- Cut tortilla into cracker-sized wedges, and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake for approximately 5 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Heat a nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Add butter, and once melted, add pear slices.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes per side, or until slightly golden but still firm.
- Sprinkle sugar over slices and cook for an additional minute.
- Remove pan from heat.
- Switch oven from bake to broil. Top each cracker with a pear slice and a slice of mozzarella. Return pan to oven on broiler rack. Watch closely! It could take less than a minute for the cheese to melt.