After spending most of the afternoon at our daughter’s gymnastics tournament, we were thinking of a meal that would be quick to prepare and filling. My husband suggested homemade steak subs with lots of veggies, and that seemed like a perfect solution. Knowing that the subs themselves may not be filling enough for my husband and teenage son, I suggested we have a side with it.
Yes, chips would have been the quick answer, but I was hoping for something healthier. I also knew that our fruit bin was filled with apples. I haven’t consumed many servings of Waldorf Salad; the combination of mayonnaise and apples never seemed that appealing to me. However, it is a classic recipe that is familiar to me and provided me with the basic idea for this salad. I switched the mayonnaise for yogurt and added a few splashes of flavor, and we had a salad that pleased all of us.
- 3 apples, cored & chopped
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1/3 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- 2 Tb. maple syrup
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- Toss apple with lemon juice in a large bowl.
- Add celery and walnut, and toss to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together yogurt, maple syrup, and cinnamon.
- Pour dressing on apple mixture and stir.
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate.