No oven’s required for these roasted vegetables — dice them finely and they’ll cook up quickly with a few minutes in sizzling butter. Peppers, onions, mushrooms, shallots, and garlic combine with the humble carrot to add zing to a comforting dish of polenta (be sure to use instant!) and cheese of your choice. This recipe comes to us from the Whitestone Country Inn on the shores of Watts Bar Lake in Kingston, Tennessee. Try this for a weekend lunch or meatless supper.
2 ounces of butter
1 ½ cups of polenta
4 ½ cups of water
1 onion (fine diced)
½ cup of carrots (fine diced)
½ cup of peppers (any color or flavor will work) (fine diced)
3 tablespoons of garlic (fine diced)
3 tablespoons of shallots (fine diced)
2 cups of sliced mushrooms (any variety)
1-2 cups of cheese (Depends on how creamy you want it and flavor profile; I
normally use Parmesan cheese)
salt and pepper to taste
1. In a saucepan over medium eat melt butter and add onions, carrots,
peppers, shallots, and garlic.
2. After everything is tender and aromatic, about 4-6 minutes, add mushrooms
and cook for another 4-6 minutes.
3. Add water and bring to a boil.
4. Once boil is reached pour in the polenta in a steady consistent stream
stirring the entire time with a rubber spatula.
5. Once all the polenta is incorporated reduce heat to low and add cheese.
6. Taste and adjust seasoning to your liking.