When it is October and I think about food, two items come to mind: Halloween candy and anything pumpkin. It seems that I am not alone in this thought, in that so many restaurants, bakeries, and grocery stores are highlighting their specials of the month, which usually involve pumpkin. Whether it be pumpkin coffee, pumpkin muffins, or pumpkin risotto, it seems to be the ingredient for October.
This week’s Best B&B Bite is taking the same approach and is providing you with a recipe for pumpkin pancakes. This delicious breakfast treat is one of my favorite ways to incorporate pumpkin into a dish. For me, the combination of slightly sweet pumpkin, a hint of spices, a little butter, and some maple syrup make a delightfully indulgent start to the day! Give this recipe from Woolverton Inn a try, it seems certain to please.
- 2-2/3 cup flour
- cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger & cloves to taste
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 8 eggs (separated)
- 2-1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1-1/2 cup pumpkin (1 15 oz. can)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 stick of melted butter, slightly cooled
- Whisk together flour, spices, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl and set aside. With a hand mixer or in a KitchenAid, whip egg whites until stiff but not dry.
- Mix together buttermilk, pumpkin, sugar, vanilla and butter. Make a well in the dry ingredients and fold in buttermilk-pumpkin mixture; do not over mix.
- Gently fold egg whites into batter.
- Cook on a hot grill until bubbles form at the edges.
- Flip and cook 2 – 3 minutes more. Enjoy!