October. The month of apples. Seeing as the picking season has just come to an end I’m sure everyone’s fruit crisper drawers in their refrigerators are chock full of those juicy red fruits. But as delicious as they are, they are kind of a one note fruit. You can make them into pies or crisps, eat them raw, put them into the usual fruit salad. But it’s all always the same.
Well, in my apple salad it’s a different combination: apples, yogurt, some seasonings, and a handful of cereal. My recipe makes about three or four servings, and if you want it for dessert, it can be topped off with some whipped cream. . .and possibly a drizzle of caramel syrup as well. YUM! This recipe would work well with a variety of yogurt flavors. I used low-fat vanilla because it was the only yogurt I had. However, you don’t need to use that flavor. You can use just plain yogurt, Greek yogurt, maple yogurt, or whole-fat yogurt.
You’ll notice that for the topping I indicate that you can use the cereal of your choice. My two favorites are Cinnamon Toast Crunch or Cinnamon Go Lean Crunch. Don’t let that stop you from trying other cereals. Newman’s Own Sweet Enough Vanilla Almond cereal is delicious as well and accents the vanilla yogurt if you decide to use that type. If you don’t want one flavor to be too strong, just a basic granola will add the crunch factor that is necessary (low-fat or not is, again, your choice).
Try all different types of combinations, depending on your tastebuds’ preference, and feel free to leave your favorite ones in the comment section.
- 2 apples
- 1 6-oz cup of low-fat vanilla yogurt
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. white sugar
- 1/4-1/2 c. cereal of your choice
- Peel and core apples. Cut into bite size chunks.
- Mix with container of yogurt in medium sized bowl. Add in seasonings and taste.
- Divide apple mixture into three or four bowls, depending on your preferred serving size. Measure out cereal (more or less depending on your likings).
- Pour into your hands and gently crush. Sprinkle over top of apples.
- Do not mix, they will get soggy. Top with whipped cream if desired.