On Christmas morning, breakfast often becomes a distant thought. The kids are immersed in opening and enjoying new presents. Parents are busy watching, photographing, and videotaping the morning’s events. Of course, gift wraps and gifts can appease the appetite for only so long. Then it becomes time to find some real sustenance. However, who wants to undertake the process of cooking a big breakfast when this is the perfect morning to enjoy?
This week’s holiday recipe comes from John Frazzetta, who has been a music and beer columnist for PKP since the very beginning. John explains, “This recipe was given to my mother by a friend of hers years ago, and we use it from time to time. Since Christmas morning is always hectic, this is a breakfast you can make the night before and while everyone is opening gifts or just waking up it can bake in the oven.”
A hearty breakfast that requires little attention on Christmas morning? Yes, that’s a winner in my book.
- 7 slices of white bread
- 8 oz. shredded cheese
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Trim the crusts from the bread and crumble it. Mix bread and cheese then spread on bottom of a greased 9×11 pan.
- Beat eggs and milk; then stir in salt, pepper and mustard.
- Pour mixture over the bread and crumble the bacon on top.
- Refrigerate overnight. Bake uncovered at 350 for 50-55 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
- *John recommended serving this dish with some homemade eggnog. You’ll find the recipe at Parched No More.