It’s hard to believe that it’s been so long, but four and a half years ago I wrote about making carrot cake for my parents. Since that time, carrot cake has become a favorite dessert item in our house, serving as the dessert of choice for many birthdays and celebrations. This weekend there was a special occasion in store: our dear friend Miss Vicki was celebrating her birthday with a cookout. Requested to bring a dessert or side dish, we chose to bring one of each.
Knowing that Miss Vicki has an affinity for carrot cake, it seemed like the perfect dessert. However, who wants to deal with cutting cake and needing a fork when eating at a cookout? Thus, cupcakes were the obvious answer. Before you wonder why I would repost the previous recipe for carrot cake simply with directions for baking cupcakes instead of a cake, please note that I made ingredient changes.
While everyone enjoyed the flavor of the other carrot cake, using cooked, mashed carrots gave the cake a texture unlike other carrot cakes. I personally didn’t mind the texture change, especially if walnuts or pecans were added, but I also understand that some people adore the addition of shredded carrot to cake. Plus, when I make the cake in certain groups I omit the nuts due to allergies, and the texture of shredded carrot is needed.
For your next gather that requires finger foods, give these cupcakes a try.
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 7/8 cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- 1-1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1-1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2-1/4 cups shredded carrots
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cream sugar and oil. Add eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition.
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon; mix well. Add carrots and mix to combine thoroughly.
- Line muffin pan with cups. Fill cups two-thirds full.
- Bake for approximately 18 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes, transfer cupcakes from pan to cooling rack.
- When completely cooled, frost as desired.