As I’ve mentioned previously, our fourteen year old daughter is a vegetarian. In fact, she’s partaken in this lifestyle for almost two years. The good thing about her eating habits is that she adores legumes of all varieties. Thus, I don’t worry about her intake of protein. She also will eat some soy-based veggie burgers and other faux meats. However, the one food that she hasn’t taken to is tofu.
Before the thought of tofu makes anyone wrinkle her nose, I want to defend this ingredient. Tofu can be made into an enjoyable dish with the correct amount of preparation. Served as is, it is bland. With some seasoning or innovative cooking methods, it becomes an enjoyable part of a meal. Probably the most useful thing to do with tofu is to marinate it. It readily absorbs flavor, far better than almost any meat that I’ve cooked with.
I will be honest and let you know that this dish was not the one that wooed my daughter into enjoying tofu. However, it was a hit with our carniverous sixteen year old son, my husband, and myself. So, I will keep working on different tofu dishes. I’m stubborn, eventually I will get her to appreciate the beauty of tofu.
- 14 oz. pkg. extra firm tofu
- Buffalo sauce
- 1-1/2 cups Honey Flax Flakes*
- 2 Tb. flax seed
- salt & pepper
- Cut tofu into 3/4 inch slices. Cut each slice into bite-sized triangles. Place tofu into a flat-bottomed container and cover with buffalo sauce. If the tofu bites will be layered, pour sauce on every layer so that the tofu is fully immersed in sauce. Cover and refrigerate for at least six hours.
- Crush flax flakes and combine in a shallow bowl with flax seed. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 400. Coat baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. Dip tofu bite into crushed flake, flip to coat other side, and transfer to baking sheet. Repeat with remaining tofu bites.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Flip and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Serve hot with blue cheese dressing and celery.
- *I like the crunch and hint of sweetness this cereal provides. However, any variety of flake cereal can be used.