As I mentioned in my Maple Apple Mustard recipe, last Tapas Monday was not one that allowed for a lot of cooking time. Instead I worked on pairing each of the cheeses with a simple condiment: sharp cheddar with maple apple mustard, truffle cheese with pinot grigio sausage. I had a wedge of gorgonzola that was begging to be paired.
I personally love the combination of pears and blue cheese, but we were without pears. Looking for something sweet to contrast with the salt and bite of the blue cheese, I remembered that we had a package of dates. I didn’t have the time to stuff the dates, but I did think that they would work well with the gorgonzola.
What I created really requires no recipe. However, the flavors in this combination were so well paired, I decided it was worth sharing. When you are seeking a sweet and salty combination that can be served on your favorite cracker, this is perfect.
- 12 small dates
- 4 oz. gorgonzola (or other creamy blue cheese)
- Chop dates into small bites.
- Combine dates and cheese in a small bowl, stirring until well combined.
- Place a sheet of plastic wrap on a work surface.
- Transfer cheese mixture from bowl to plastic wrap.
- Shape into a log, and wrap in plastic.
- Refrigerate for one or two hours.
- Serve with crackers.