I love almost any type of fruit or vegetable based quick bread. Banana, zucchini, pumpkin, apple, peach, blueberry, you name it, I like it. Thus, I was excited to see that this week’s Best B&B Bites recipe was for banana nut muffins. Not only is it one of my favorite breakfast treats, but their recipe includes nuts, which for me adds that little bit of something extra. The combination of slightly sweet bread or muffin plus the crunch of walnuts (topped with a little butter) makes a delightful breakfast indulgence.
This recipe also has an extra bit of specialness, as it comes from Glynn House Inn, which is located in Ashland, New Hampshire. Sharing a recipe from a bed and breakfast in my home state makes this a perfect Best B&B Bite!
- 3 or 4 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/3 cup melted salted butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 med. egg, beaten
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla
- 1 Tb. espresso
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1-1/2 cup of flour
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- With a wooden spoon, mix butter into the mashed bananas in a large mixing bowl. Mix in the sugar, egg, espresso and vanilla.
- Sift in the baking soda and and the salt over the mixture and mix in. Sift the flour mix until it is just incorporated. Pour mixture into a prepared muffin tin.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Check with a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin.
- If it comes out clean, it’s done. Cool on a rack.
- (Can add nuts to the recipe, is also good with orange or lemon zest)